Navigate Resources (login required)
In Navigate, kiosks enable self-service check-in to advising and tutoring appointments, study hall, and any other service locations or facilities for which the kiosk functionalities are active. For example, some institutions use kiosks to track computer usage at the library. Administrators could then pull a report on library computer use through the Navigate.
Any laptop or desktop with USB functionality can be used as a kiosk when a user with the correct permissions logs into the Platform and selects “Kiosk Mode” from a menu.
We have a limited number of card swipes, please inquire about this while requesting training for kiosk set-up.
Alerts and Cases within the platform allows for a more intentional interaction with students in the referral process. Anyone with the appropriate access can issue an alert on a student which sends a notification to the office being referred to. At this point the office being referred to will send communication to the student depending on their guidelines in the below chart. The available referral offices continue to grow each semester as we continue to enhance this functionality of the platform.
Categories are a specific way to “group” similar students together. For instance, you may organize students into sports categories (e.g. Football and Women’s Tennis). Information for categories is coming from Banner on a nightly basis. The current categories found in the platform are:
- 1st Academic Probation
- 1st Academic Suspension
- 2nd Academic Probation
- 2nd Academic Suspension
- 3rd Academic Probation
- Academic Warning
- Active Registration Holds
- All Minors
- Applied for Degree - Student has applied for their degree.
- Corps of Cadets membership
- Course Request Submitted - Spring 2021 - Indicates a student has completed spring 2021 course request
- FAFSA filed for current term
- FERPA waiver on file
- Final Academic Suspension
- First Generation
- Graduate Program Dismissal
- Graduate Program Probation
- Graduated - XX - Indicates that a student has graduated from VT with the speecific level and degree. This category does not appear until the term in which the degree was awarded has closed and passed.
- Military Dependents
- NCAA Athletes and their sport
- Non-Citizen National
- Non-Resident Alien - Students who are not US citizens and do not meet additional criteria for tax purposes.
- Permanent Resident
- US Citizen
- Underrepresented Minority - Any ethnic group or race whose representation among students at Virginia Tech is disproportionately less than their proportion in the general population.
- 125% Warning: The student was notified that according to our records, they have attempted total credits equaling or exceeding 100% of the hours required for their declared degree program
- 125% Exceeded: The student was notified that they have attempted total credits equaling or exceeding 125% of the hours required for their declared degree program. As such, the state required tuition surcharge will be applied
Tags are used to signify that a student is part of a particular group. Tags can only be added and removed manually from the pre-existing list within Navigate. The current tags found in the platform are:
- AFD - 20XXXX - Applied for Degree for this term
- Course Request Submitted - XXX: Indicates a student has completed course request for that particular term
- Entering XXX Cohort: Students who entered in summer academy and fall of the particular year
- HUB - students receiving certain scholarships at Virginia Tech, known as scholarship mentoring. This service is provided by University Studies for students from potentially any major
- PCEG: Presidential Campus Enrichment Grant
- Policy 91 Notification: student has been notified they are in violation of Policy 91 and have the current semester to reconcile this violation
- Policy 91 Suspension: student has been notified they need to change their major due to the fact they did not meet Policy 91 requirements
- PSI: Presidential Scholarship Initiative
- PSI-STRADA: Presidential Scholarship Initiatives and STRADA Scholars
- SAP Contract: Failing for GPA: student's cumulative GPA is below 2.0
- SAP Contract: Failing for Pace: student is not completing 67% of their classes with a passing grade
- SAP Contract: Failing for Maximum Timeframe: student is approaching 150% of their program hours
- VTSA XXXX: Students enrolled in Summer Academy for a given year.
Appointment Campaigns enable advisors to request that specific students select a specific date and time in which to schedule an appointment. This is in contrast to the advisor creating appointments for each student. This feature is commonly used when an advisor must meet with all their students at least once per term.
- Preparing for an Appointment Campaign (YouTube Video)
- Executing an Appointment Campaign (YouTube Video)
- Managing an Appointment Campaign (YouTube Video)
- How to Develop a Successful Appointment Campaign
- Sample Campaign: Second Year to Graduation
- Sample Campaign: Transfer Students to Graduation
- EAB: Targeted Advising Campaigns 101 Presentation
- EAB: Targeted Advising Campaigns Toolkit
- EAB: Measuring Campaign Effectiveness Toolkit
- EAB: SSC Resource Email Templates and Tips