Unleash Your Hokie Potential
Sign-up for the UNIV 2984 course during orientation!
Optional* 1-credit course for incoming transfer students designed to help you prepare a meaningful and flexible life plan. You will explore and discover who you are, where you want to go in life, and how your time at Virginia Tech can help you get there. You will have the opportunity to discover your strengths and values, identify potential careers, and establish academic, personal, and career goals.
*Course is optional for transfer students on campus and required for Transfer Experience LLC members
Virginia Tech’s moto is Ut Prosim which is Latin for “That I May Serve”. One of the goals for Virginia Tech is that all Hokies embrace this motto as a way of life. This course will introduce you to different ways to serve your community and how to integrate service in a meaningful way into your life plan.
Essentially, this course is designed to help you get the most of your time as a Hokie!
Learning Outcomes: The function of this course is to help students:
- Discover and connect with the Virginia Tech community.
- Complete and reflect upon the results of self and career assessments.
- Develop and refine academic and life skills with emphasis on:
- Decision making by collecting relevant information and based on that information, making choices about careers and creating academic plans.
- Problem solving through setting and achieving goals and utilize resources.
- Critical thinking by discerning what information is necessary to answer questions and resolve conflict.
- Inquiry which provides a systematic process of asking questions and seeking out information.
- Integrating academic and co-curricular learning experiences by pulling information together from multiple sources to inform decisions.
- Construct personal, academic, and career goals (short-term and long-term).
- Establish networks of academic and social peer support by developing “meaningful” interaction with faculty and other VT students.