Student Learning Outcomes
Updated by the Advising Assessment Leadership Group on May 4, 2023
Virginia Tech academic advising wants to ensure that each student is receiving similar advising resources and information. In an effort to provide foundation for advising services, the following student learning outcomes will be assessed:
Goal 1: Demonstrate their roles in the advisor-advisee relationships.
- Students will be able to indicate how they can identify their academic advisor.
- Students will be able to identify where to find advising summaries from their advising sessions.
- Students will be able to describe how to make an advising appointment with their academic advisor.
- Students will build increased responsibility in developing academic and career plans.
Goal 2: Understand the components of academic programs and the tools available to create their academic plans.
- Students will be able to categorize/define the components/elements of a degree.
- Students will be able to construct academic plans, inclusive of general education, major and/or minor requirements, as well as co-curricular opportunities.
- Students will be able to describe how to access Degree Audit Reports.
- Students will be able to identify where to access the university’s official/primary graduation/academic planning tool.
- Students will be able to build a schedule of classes for their first semester classes using HokieScheduler.
Goal 3: Learn about, define, and/or state university-wide resources and policies.
- Students will develop skills to complete advising milestones to support academic success.
- Students will be able to identify where to locate academic dates and deadlines.
- Students will be able to define academic policies and procedures.
- Students will be (to recognize) aware of university-wide resources.